Saturday, December 5, 2009

Texas Cuban - Another Slammin' Food Stand

Austin has seen tons of food stands pop up over the past few years, so it's hard to try all of them. I've seen the black trailer on Lamar called Texas Cuban about as many times as I had seen Moo Moo's, but for some reason I was more resisting of this food stand. Boy, was I missing out! This place is killer. My boyfriend and I went there during my lunch break, and we split the Texas Cuban, which feeds two. It's a panini-pressed Cuban sandwich, made with pork tenderloin, ham, swiss, provolone, and pickles and it is the yummiest sandwich I've had in a while. It wasn't as greasy as the other cuban sandwiches I've tried, and I think it had something to do with how lean the pork was. It was pork tenderloin, and traditional Cuban sandwiches are made with a lesser quality meat, such as pulled pork or pork stomach. It actually tasted like a pretty "light" Cuban sandwich. You can get their cilantro mustard on request, and I would highly recommend it. It was delicious. The sandwich comes with fried plantains, but they also serve other sides like fries, mariquitas (a sweeter fried plantain) and papa rellena (beef picadillo in the center of deep fried mashed potatoes). Their drink selection was small, but good: Dublin Dr. Pepper, Mexican Coke (although I looked at the label, and it was in fact made with high-fructose corn syrup instead of pure cane sugar), Bottled Water, Zico, and Papa Mango Nectar. You can view Texas Cuban's entire menu here. I definitely recommend this place for lunch or an early dinner (the stand is open 11am-7pm Monday-Saturday).

No comments:

Post a Comment